Miss Caroline Plummer (1780 - 1854) was the oldest daughter of Dr. Joshua Plummer; a noted Salem physician who graduated from Harvard in 1778. Her oldest brother, Ernestus Augustus Plummer acquired a fortune in mercantile ventures in Russia. He returned to Salem in 1813 and lived with his sister until his death ten years later. She inherited all his estate and in her will carried out his wishes to not only endow the Plummer Farm School with $26,191 but provided sufficient funds to defray the expense of building Plummer Hall (later the Phillips Library) on Essex Street in 1857, and in founding the Plummer professorship of morals at Harvard University.
- Vertical File in Salem Collection- Plummer, Caroline
- Salem Women's Heritage Trail p. 23, 33-34, 47
- Caroline Plummer Salem Focus Website
- Salem Women's History Website by Bonnie Hurd Smith