Phillips School was built in 1883 at 84 Essex Street and had an addition put on in 1924.
Named after Stephen C. Phillips, former mayor who donated his salary to a school building fund.
The building has now been converted to subsidized housing.
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Schools - subfolder Schools of the past
- Postcard photograph courtesy of CardCow.com
- "School Days gone by; Phillips School students, faculty hold memory fest" (50th school reunion)Salem Evening News, June 12, 1998, p. A1
- "Phillips School library featured observance of book week by opening to pupils use of newly built shelves" Salem Evening News, Nov. 7, 1941, p.?
- "Down by the old schoolyard" Salem Evening News, July 8, 1991, p.7