"At the southern edge of the McIntire Historic District lies a mini-neighborhood of semi-detached English cottages, built of concrete in the early twentieth century.
This is Orne Square, laid out just after the great fire of 1914 under the auspices of the Salem Rebuilding Commission, with financing from the Salem Rebuilding and Phillips Trusts." writes blogger/historian Donna Seger.
Ambrose Walker was the architect and the private Phillips Trust owned the property. Walker built using Portland cement. Salem was afraid to use wood after the big fire of 1914. The grouping is of eight separate three-story stucco townhouses, on an elbow shaped street, just off Broad Street.
An Urban Village in Salem Streets of Salem blog, D. Seger
After the Fire: Orne Square Streets of Salem blog, D. Seger