The property in which Northshore Mall is situated was once home to a mansion built for Elias Haskett Derby's daughter. The home, with carvings by famed woodcarver Samuel McIntire, was known as Oak Hill. Later it was purchased by the Rogers family. The religious brothers, the Xaverians bought Oak Hill in 1922. The Northshore Shopping Center was dedicated on Sept. 12, 1958, with Jordan Marsh and Filene's as anchor stores. Nearby, Salem's downtown shops were adversely affected, as were other nearby towns, when people began shopping exclusively at the shopping center.
The mall was originally built in 1958 as an outdoor shopping center. It was enclosed in 1977, remodeled in 1993 and again saw a major renovation in 2007. Fall/winter of 2017 will see new restaurants added to the 114 side to the mall.
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - North Shore Mall
- "Northshore Mall makes 50th birthday" Salem News, Sept. 1, 2008, p.1
- "A new world of retail shopping" Boston Sunday Globe, Nov. 7, 1993, North Weekly, p. 1
- "What's cooking at the mall: Construction on track for new dining district at Northshore" Salem News, Nov. 22, 2017.