North Shore Babies' Hospital
North Shore Babies' Hospital was started by the Babies Summer Hospital Society, after a cholera epidemic in 1905. The hospital was located on Baker's Island as a summer hospital for several years, but moved in 1910 to the Estate of Charles A Ropes, a 13 room house at the end of Dearborn Street (#75) in North Salem. At first open only in summer, beginning in 1926 the hospital was open year round. It closed as a hospital in the early 1960's. It was destroyed by fire in 1972.
The hospital was a fixture on Ropes' Point until the early 1960's, when the children's hospital moved to a new building on Highland Avenue, adjacent to the Salem Hospital.
- Postcard courtesy of CardCow.com
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - North Shore Children's Hospital
- Salem memories : the early years: a pictorial history Salem News, p. 90 (photo of Ropes House, 75 Dearborn St.)
- 19th Annual Report of Associated Charities 1910 ed., p. 61-64
- "Children's Hospital traces its history to cholera epidemic on 1904" Salem News, May 11, 2009.
- Salem in Vintage Postcards ed. by C. R. Mathias, p. 56