Nichols, Capt. Henry
Capt. Henry Nichols (1897-1977) was a friend, a fighter, a promoter and a Salem booster. Born in Salem to Charles H. and Elizabeth
(Newhall) Nichols, he later married Agnes (Colby) Nichols and lived at 93 Federal Street.
He grew up in Salem and credits the Salem Fraternity (the oldest boys' club in the country) with the man he became.
He served in the Navy until his retirement in 1959, he became active in civic activities, also serving as the director of the Chamber of Commerce.
Later, he supported many groups that helped underprivileged boys, including a summer camp in Rowley.
He was instrumental in founding the Driver Memorial on the corner of Summer and Essex Streets.
He published three books, including his grandfather William Henry Nichols' whaling log, he called "Eastward Around the World on the Barque Emerald".
Driver, Capt. William entry on this wiki has more information about the Driver Memorial.
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Nichols, Capt. Henry
- "Capt. Henry Nichols dies" Salem Evening News, Mar. 24, 1977, p. 1-2
- "Book on barque's log by Capt. Nichols" Salem Evening News, May 22, 1974, p?