Newhall Nursing Home
Newhall Nursing Home at 7 Carpenter Street closed in 1997, causing 45 residents to be moved and 35 people to lose their jobs. Newhall had been bought by Olympus Health Care Group and stated they could no longer run a nursing home to state standards in the 260 year old building.
The 25 room house was owned by a sea captain in the 18th century and later became the Seaman's Orphanage before being converted to a nursing home in the early 1950's.
After being run as an the Seaman's Orphanage, it was known as "Children's Home" until approximately 1949.
In 1910, the home had 44 orphans. It was run by the Salem Seamen's Orphan and Children's Friend Society.
Samuel Burkman ran the nursing home and gave it to his son, who sold the license to Olympus Health Care Group in January of 1996.
The building was converted in 1998 to four condominium units.
Vertical File in Salem Collection - Newhall Nursing Home
"Newhall Nursing Home to close; Closing to move 45 residents and 35 employees" Salem Evening News, May 22, 1997, p. C11
"Newhall building faces happier future" Salem Evening News, Dec. 2, 1998, p. C3
Associated Charities Salem, Mass. Annual Report 1910, p. 34, 58.