Naumkeag

From SalWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
  • Old name for Salem.
  • When Roger Conant, first settler, came in 1626, the Indians told him he was at Naumkeag.
  • Naum for place, Ke for fish and Ag for at, and so Naumkeag was the "place to fish at."
  • In June of 1629, the city's name was changed to Shalom or Salem, which is Hebrew meaning "City of Peace." The Rev. Francis Higginson was the person who suggested the name change.

See Also

  • Salem's Visitor's Guide, 1895 ed. - p. 4