Municipal Golf Course
The Salem Municipal Golf Course (known as Old Salem Greens Golf Course) was opened to the public on Sept. 12, 1933.
Built in 1933 as a WPA project, Olde Salem Greens is a nine-hole golf course on 75 of the 275 acres at Highland Park. Yardage is 2,847, with a par 35. Tee times may be scheduled six days in advance for general public and seven days in advance for Season Pass Holders. Soft-spike shoes only. A handicapped-accessible golf cart is available.
Presently, Old Salem Greens Golf Course opens in early April and runs to Dec. 1, weather permitting. It is located on Willson St.
A new clubhouse for the course was built in 1998, after many years of planning.
The parking lot blacktop was repaved in 1999.
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Golf Course
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Golf Clubhouse
- Salem Evening News articles: Sept. 9, 1933 - p. 10; Sept. 11,1933- p.1; Sept. 12, 1933- p. 1;
Sept. 13, 1933 - p. 1
- Salem City Documents 1933- p. 137
- Salem City Documents 1932 - p. 137-8
- "Plan to build new golf clubhouse enters final phase" Salem Evening News, Sept. 28, 1995.
- "New clubhouse pushed for golf course" Salem Evening News, Sept. 11, 1996, p.C3
- "Construction gets underway on Olde Salem Green clubhouse" Salem Evening News, June 5, 1997, p. C3
- The Case Against Golf Course Expansion and For Preservation of Salem Woods by Burke, Luecke, Young, 2003