Salem's Moose Lodge #218 celebrated their 100th anniversary in 2010. They are using a building on 50 Grove Street presently, but have had many different locations over the years, including a 40 year stint at 319 Highland Avenue.
The Royal Order of Moose started in Salem in 1910 at 209 Essex St. (the Naumkeag Building), they spent 1911-1916 and 1920-1926 at the Odd Fellows Hall, 125 Washington St. The years between were at 219 Essex St. For the span of 1929-1932 they used the empire Theatre Building as the Moose Hall (285 Essex St.)
After a couple of years at different Essex and Washington Street addresses, they spent a long time at 129 Essex St. (From 1936-1941.)
They were located at 21 Front St. from 1944 to 1960, before moving for 40 years to 319 Highland Ave. in its own building. The first listing for this address was 1961. The Moose Family Center is now located permanently at 50 Grove Street. Some of the causes this civic organization backs up are; blood drives, neighborhood meetings, fundraisers and holiday meals. They have close ties to the Friends of the Council on Aging and have helped this senior organization over the years.
- 100th Anniversary Celebration : Salem Moose Family Center #218 Moose Lodge, 2010
- "Moose turns 100 - the human kind that is" Salem News, Feb. 19, 2010, p. 2
- "Gatherings: 100th anniversary of Loyal Order of Moose in Salem" Salem News, Feb. 25, 2010, p. 9