Mack Industrial School

From SalWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Mack Industrial School was located on 17 Pickman St.

In 1884, Esther C. Mack made provisions in her will to help start a school in Salem to provide employment training for women. The school opened in 1906 and had classes in dressmaking, millinery (hat-making)skills, and cooking.

By 1908, 500 students were enrolled. Young women between the ages of 14 and 18 were taught useful and ornamental arts as well as occupations by which they could support themselves honestly and profitably. The brick residence at 17 Pickman Street was used for the school until the late 1920's.

See Also

  • Vertical File in the Salem Collection - Mack School
  • "Mack Industrial School sale was most successful" Salem Evening News, Mar. 6, 1925.
  • "Mack Industrial opens doors Oct. 2" Salem Evening News, Sept. 15, 1916, p.5