Lyceum Bar & Grill
Housed in the former Lyceum Hall, this restaurant and bar opened in 1971. Joan and Joe Boudreau had saved and renovated the old building after it had housed various operations such as banks, private school and a Christian Reading Room. It was acquired by local restaurant owner George Harrington in August 1989. It quickly became a favorite spot for European style dining in Salem.
The restaurant closed in late 2009 for renovations and opened up Nov. 2009 under its new shorter name, The Lyceum.
George Harrington was well known for the popular restaurant he ran in Marblehead with his then wife, called "Rosalie's."
A new restaurant opened in October 2011 called 43 Church, on this site, under the ownership of Harrington's son, George Jr. and a partner.
In 2013, the site was taken over by Turner's Seafood who also runs a second restaurant in Melrose.
- Postcard courtesy of CardCow.com
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Salem Lyceum
- 43 Church Restaurant Official Website
- "Lyceum opens..for a second time" Salem News, Nov. 5, 2009, p.2
- "It's the end of an era at Salem's famed Lyceum" Salem News, July 22, 2011, p. ?
- "Some local eateries have long, colorful history" Salem News, Dec. 28, 2009, p. 5
- Turner's Seafood restaurant website