The Kernwood Bridge connects North Salem with the Ryal Side neighborhood in Beverly. It is a swing-span bridge which opens several times a day in the summer for boats using the Danvers River. The Kernwood Bridge opened in 1908. It is 1,100 feet long and cost $150,000 to construct. County Commissioners decided to call the bridge after the Kernwood Estate (now the Kernwood Golf Club), which abuts the bridge.
The DPW worked on the bridge in the early 1990's, replacing the wood deck and the wood cross beams supporting the deck. It cost about $2 million to repair. Though forecast as taking as little as 6 months, the bridge work took 10 months, opening on May 11, 1993.
Vertical File in Salem Collection - Kernwood Bridge
"State set to repair bridge; Kernwood Bridge to get resurfaced this summer" Salem News, June 24, 2013, p. 6
"Bridge closing time cut in half" Salem Evening News, Jul 17, 1990, p. 1
"Traffic horrors foreseen if state closes Kernwood" Salem Evening News, July 14, 1990, p. 1
"Bridge reopens; more detours in the works" Salem Evening News, May 12, 1993, p. 1
"New Kernwood Bridge opened and christened" Salem Evening News, Nov. 18, 1908. p. 1