From SalWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Once the Peabody family estate, this sat on the Danvers River, off Liberty Hill Avenue in the north part of Salem. Francis Peabody built an English-style residence here. It was also known for its gardens and fruit trees. One of the largest trees was a sugar maple that measured nine and a half feet in circumference.

Nearby, there is a natural spring, locally called "Cold Springs".

Francis Peabody, a noted chemist, helped usher in Salem's industrial age in the second quarter of the 19th century.

In June 1913 the Kernwood Estate was the site of the Salem Pageant, or "Pageant of Salem." Organized by Caroline Emmerton as a fundraiser for the House of the Seven Gables Settlement Association, a cast of 1,000 actors recreated important episodes from Salem's history.

The estate is now home to the Kernwood Country Club, a private golf club started in 1914.

See Also

  • Vertical File in Salem Collection - Kernwood Country Club
  • "Scene of upcoming Christmas house tour has remarkable history (House tour in North Salem in 2010)" Salem News, Nov. 29, 2010, p. 7
  • "Kernwood was name of former estate" Letter to the editor, Salem News, July 10, 2013
  • "A Club to call home; Kernwood in Salem founded 100 years ago by Jews who were excluded from playing at area gold courses." Boston Sunday Globe, Dec. 7, 2014, p. N02