Juniper Point

From SalWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Adjacent to the Willows, Salem's seaside park, is the oldest residential section of Salem Neck, known as Juniper Point. It encompasses Beach and Columbus and Bay View Avenues. In the 1850's and 60's the point served as a recreational "tenting ground." In 1870, the owner Daniel B. Gardner subdivided the area (about 30 acres) into house lots. It quickly became a desirable summer resort. For many years a large wooden hotel, the "Ocean House"(1879) operated here overlooking the bay.

Most of the cottages at Juniper Point were built between 1870 and 1910, and of wood-frame construction. It has now become a year-round residential community, and virtually all the cottages have been winterized.

According to Gannon, Juniper Point probably got its name from its juniper trees.

See Also

Architecture in Salem by Tolles, p. 280

Nicknames and Neighborhoods by F. Gannon, p. 20