Jones, Gardner Maynard
Gardner Maynard Jones was one of the first librarians for Salem Public Library when it opened in 1889. Jones was born in Charlestown, Mass., June 27, 1850.
He began as a cataloger and classifier at the Boston Book Co. with a degree from Columbia University (1888) but came to Salem Public when first opening the library in 1889.
Mr. Jones published a monthly bulletin and "finding lists" as well as special reading lists and editorials on literary topics.
Jones was an active member of the American Library Association, the Massachusetts Library Club, and the Appalachian Mountain Club.
He was married on June 30, 1897, to Kate Emery, daughter of Edward B.S. Sanborn, a lawyer of Franklin, N.H.
Jones was instrumental in opening the East Branch Library which later bore his name.
In 1910, the East Branch opened inside the Phillips School, using the "Wardroom" the library was completely renovated when the Phillips School was remodeled in 1925. In 1962, the Bentley School, at 50 1/2 Essex St. was no longer being used by the city for a school, so was converted to the new East Branch Library. The remodeling was made possible, at no cost to the City, by money left to the Trustees from Gardner Maynard Jones, a former librarian of the Salem Public Library. The Gardner Maynard Jones Memorial Library (East Branch) was opened to the public on Aug. 10, 1964.
See our entry for Branch Libraries for more details on this and other library branches.
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Jones, Gardner Maynard
- Dictionary of American Biography vol. 6, p. 483