John Bertram House
The John Bertram House, (formerly the Bertram Home for Aged men), is located at 29 Washington Square, North, at Mall Street. Also known as the Forrester-Peabody House. It was built in 1818 by John Forrester and later enlarged and sold to George Peabody in 1834. It was founded as a home for aged men in 1877 by Capt. John Bertram. In 1989, the house was renovated and expanded at the cost of $2 million. It opened again in 1990 as an assisted living facility serving both men and women. The Massachusetts Historical Commission awarded the building an award for preservation. The design was done by Salem architect Staley McDermet.
- Architecture in Salem by Bryant F. Tolles, Jr., p.15
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Bertram House for Aged Men