Jerry's Army & Navy Store
Jerry's Army and Navy Store on the corner of Essex and Summer streets was a long-time sporting goods store in downtown Salem. They carried many well-known brands such as Carhartt, Helly Hansen and Dickies. They also sold camping and other outdoor equipment in the basement level.
The store began at 162 Washington Street and moved to the Essex and Summer corner in 1954, taking over the storefront of the former Mohegan's Market.
The Saxe brothers of Marblehead took over Jerry's in 1996. The opened other Jerry's stores in Wilmington, Rowley, and Nashua, N.H. but eventually closed them all. The one in Salem, the original one was the last to close in 2005. The competition from big box stores at the malls became too great. The Salem store closed sometime late summer of 2005.
Witch City Consignment and Thrift Store took over the building and operates there.
Vertical File in Salem Collection - Businesses #2
"Everything must go...eventually. Salem clothes-shopping mecca shutting down this summer" Salem News, May 13, 2005, p. A10
Salem Through Time Curley and Dionne, p. 10 (photo)