Jeffers Millworks closed after 123 years in business in April of 2010. They sold the 1-acre, 164 Boston Street property near the
Peabody line. Founded in 1886 by John D. Jeffers who came to Salem from Nova Scotia, the business began as John D. Jeffers and Sons Lumber on
Foster Street in Peabody.
The company moved to Salem after purchasing the former A. F. Clark Lumber Co. overlooking the North river. After John Sr. passed away in May of 2009,
they ceased to do business as a lumberyard and shifted to custom carpentry work.
Much of their work was for commercial or municipal customers.
Vertical File in Salem Collection - Businesses #2
"End of an era as Jeffers Millwork closes" Salem News, April 27, 2010, p. 2