Hobbs Ice Cream Stand
Hobbs Ice Cream stand (E.W. Hobbs) has served popcorn, homemade ice cream, and salt water taffy at the Salem Willows Park on Fort Avenue since 1897. It is rumored that, in 1906, founders Everett Hobbs and William Eaton offered the first ice-cream cone in New England. Located at the end of the park nearest to the ocean, E.W. Hobbs opens its popcorn and ice-cream stand on the first Sunday in April. The grill opens Memorial Day weekend, selling hot dogs, hamburgers, grilled cheese and chicken sandwiches, lobster rolls, clam chowder, ice-cream sodas, floats, freezes, frappés, milkshakes, canned soda and juices. Priscilla Hobbs, who owns the business with her brother Charlie took over when her father, Buddy Hobbs passed away in 2008. They are the fourth generation of Hobbs' to run the ice cream stand.
For more information and history of this popular Salem landmark check out E.W. Hobbs on this wiki.
Vertical File in the Salem Collection - Salem Willows
"Obituary for Everett W. Hobbs, 88" Salem News, July 14, 2008, p. 6