Historic Salem Incorporated
- Founded in 1944, Historic Salem, Inc., a non-profit architectural preservation organization, is dedicated to the preservation of historic homes and sites. "HSI's mission is to ensure that the historic resources of Salem, which are key to its identity, its quality of life, and its economic vitality, are preserved for future generations and that new development complements the historic character of the city" according to H.S.I's website.
- The group believes in preservation, education, advocacy, and partnership.
- H.S.I. was created by the city in 1944, for the purpose of saving what is now the Witch House and the Bowditch House, both of which had to be moved so that North Street could be widened.
- The organization now uses the Bowditch House (9 North Street) for the administrative offices.
- Historic Salem, Inc. organizes the Christmas in Salem House Tour, other walking tours and produces a newsletter.
- H.S.I. also established the Most Endangered Historic Resources Program in 2000 to focus public attention on specific endangered resources.
- Historic Salem has added their database of house histories from the Plaque Program to the Historic Salem website. Check the webpage below to search over 580 house histories.
"Historic Salem's house histories provide a general look at previous owners of their house as well as an architectural synopsis of the building. The narrative identifies the house’s early residents and the events of their lives. It is keyed to primary and secondary sources so that you may be assured of accuracy. Appended are copies of deeds, atlases, and (sometimes) inventories of furnishings" according to the HSI website.
- Historic Salem, Inc. Official Website
- Historic Salem, Inc. Salem Tales, SalemWeb.com
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Historic Salem Inc.
- A Brief History of Historic Salem, Inc. by Jim McAllister
- "Scene of upcoming Christmas house tour has remarkable history" Salem Evening News, Nov. 29, 2010, p. 7