Highland Avenue was first listed as a street between 1875 and 1876, when it was listed
in the Salem Street Directory. It described the street as running from 428 Essex (corner of Warren Street) to the
Lynn Line. Some of the older maps of the city (1874) showed the street as the Salem & Boston Turnpike.
The city of Salem lists the street starting in the 1890 directory as an "official" street (using an asterisk.)
The name probably came from the area, which had been known as Highland Park.
Vertical File in Salem Collection - Highland Ave.
Salem City Directories 1876-1901 in Salem Collection