Hayden Lock

From SalWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Hayden Safe & Lock Co. began business in 1910 in a now legendary location - 15 Central St, the site of Red's Sandwich Shop.

Founded by Fred Southard, who besides locks, did an assortment of odd jobs like repairing luggage and lawn mowers and sharpening knives.

The Whitmarsh family took over the business in the 1940's when John Whitmarsh Sr. bought it from Hollis Hayden. It is now one of the largest safe and lock companies in the Boston area.

It is now located on Webb Street.

When John Sr. died prematurely in 1963, his son Jack took over at the age of 24. When he died of a brain aneurysm in 1968, when only in his 40's, the family rallied again.

The three sons took over, Michael, Christopher and John, who was only 18 at the time.

Hayden Lock (located at 119 Webb Street) came back strong and today has seven employees and clients that include the Peabody Essex Museum, the Peabody and Danvers school systems and several area banks.


See Also

Hayden Safe and Lock Company Official Website

Legendary Locals of Salem Hayden Safe & Lock, p. 90

"Hayden Lock celebrates its centennial" Salem News, Sept. 22, 2010, p.?