- This city cemetery is bounded by Orne and Appleton Streets and Liberty Hill Avenue. This cemetery, started in 1807, is also an arboretum and within its approximately 100 acres more than 200 species of trees thrive.
- A beautiful memorial chapel and conservatory, erected in 1894, by Walter Scott Dickson in memory of his wife, is located here. Dickson Chapel is a High Victorian Gothic work of architecture, made with light-brown granite with trim of olive stone. The conservatory was taken down in the 1970's after it suffered damage.
- In 1887 the cemetery was enclosed with an iron fence and gates, 1,087 feet long. Major improvements were initiated in 1933 and 1934 with W.P.A. workers planting many botanical specimens.
- A Civil War Memorial sits on the Appleton Street side of the cemetery, placed here by the Sons of Veterans in 1886. Erected and dedicated by Lieut. Col. Henry Merritt.
- F. Carroll Sargent, noted arborist, brought many varieties of trees and shrubs from all over North America, China, Japan, Europe, Manchuria, Siberia and Korea to plant at the cemetery.
- Some of the more notable persons interred here are: Kate Tannatt Woods (author, educator, poet), John Symonds, Capt. Robert Foster, Arthur Huddell (union organizer), Walter Scott Dickson (philanthropist, industrialist), and Rev. Jacob Stroyer (author, social reformer, minister).
A new group has formed in 2013 called Friends of Greenlawn. Their mission is to "help restore, beautify and maintain Greenlawn Cemetery now and in the future through grants, funding and public awareness."
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Greenlawn Cemetery
- "Life among the dead" Salem Evening News, June 30,1989 p.1
- "Trees of spring" Salem Evening News, March 24, 1990 p.1.
- Architecture in Salem by Bryant F. Tolles, p. 270-1 (Dickson Chapel)
- Merritt Camp Civil War Memorial Smithsonian Institute Catalog.
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Cemeteries
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Civil War Monuments
- Find A Grave: Greenlawn Cemetery Website