Gerber's Restaurant, aka "Little City Hall" was part of Town House Square in downtown Salem for 30 years.
Run by Louis Gerber, it stood on the site now used by the Bewitched statue. It was a popular place to eat from the early 1940's until its sale in 1970.
A fire broke out in the winter of 1971 destroying the restaurant.
The fire started Jan. 19th, 1971 and continued through the night. Coverage of the fire is found on front page of Salem Evening News, Jan. 20, 1971.
Louis Gerber, proprietor, died on Dec. 17, 1986. His obituary can be found in the Salem Evening News, Dec. 18th, 1986.
The menu cover was rendered by artist Marjorie Gerber Gold. It depicted Salem's night skyline with a witch flying over it.
- "Statue site once home to beloved downtown eatery" (Letters to the editor), Salem News, June 29, 2005, p. B4
- Obituary. Louis Gerber, Salem Evening News, Dec. 18, 1986
- "Salem's Town House Square has seen many changes over the centuries" Jim McAllister for Essex County Chronicles, Salem News, May 21, 2012