Enoch Fuller was born in Salem in 1827, the eldest child of Enoch P. Fuller, a master builder who hailed originally from Ipswich.
After some years at sea, he started working for his father, making plans and sketches. He studied hard and became an architect.
By the 1840's there were crazes of Italian and French styles in local architecture.
Between 1855 and 1861 Fuller designed a great assortment of Victorian landmarks for his native Salem and surrounding North Shore towns. His Salem structures included:
Classical and High School at 5 Broad St.(1855-56)
Downing Block at 157 Essex St. (1857)
Plummer Hall at 132 Essex St. (1856-57)
Immaculate Conception Church at 15 Hawthorne Boulevard (1857-1864)
Essex County Courthouse at 36 Federal St. (1861-62)
Vertical File in Salem Collection - Fuller, Enoch
"Maine discovery unlocks Salem history: the Fullers were pioneering Victorian architects, built COA Building" Salem Gazette, Mar.2, 2007, p.4