Fort Lee

From SalWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
  • Fort Lee started as an earthwork and gun platform around 1690, enlarged and modernized in 1742. It is located at the Salem Willows area and is star-shaped. It was used in the time periods of: 1750-1799, 1800-1824, 1825-1849, and 1850-1874.
  • The last active role that Fort Lee had was against Confederate Raiders during the Civil War.
  • It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.
  • During the bicentennial time period, there was a push to clean up both Salem forts, Pickering and Lee. the Salem Bicentennial Commission sponsored a dedication of Fort Lee, on June 20th, 1976.

FortLee fr.jpg

See Also

  • Vertical File in Salem Collection - Forts
  • Postcard Image courtesy of CardCow.com