Eaton Drugstore was started in the 1920's by F. Elmer Eaton, whose first store, Eaton the Druggist, was at the corner of Essex and St. Peter Streets.
At one time, Eaton's had stores on Lafayette, North, New Derby and two on Essex Street in Salem. Currently, there are four Eaton's left operating in the local area.
The Eaton's stores in Danvers and Marblehead, part of the acquisition, are now called "Eaton Apothecary, a Walgreens pharmacy". The era of independent
drugstores seems to have ended, as the two major chains, Walgreens and CVS have taken over most of the prescription business in the country.
"Eaton Apothecary closes doors in Salem" Salem News, Feb. 10, 2010, p. 1