Derby House is the oldest brick dwelling to survive in Salem. Richard Derby had the house built for his son, Elias Hasket Derby in 1762.
It is a gambrel-roofed Georgian style home. Measures to restore it was begun by the Society for the Presevation of New England
Antiquities in 1927. Currently it is part of the Park Service's Derby wharf area. SPNEA gave the building to the organization in 1938.
Derby and his wife lived in the brick house until 1777 of 78 and all of their seven children were born there.
Be-witched in historic Salem, Massachusetts Salem Chamber of Commerce, 1967, p. 28-30