The Derby Estate was a large tract of land out in South Salem, near what is now Lafayette Street.
The wealthy Derby family of old Salem were the original owners of the property. The old manor house had a porter's lodge,
a gold fish pond and hot houses. The family eventually dwindled to three elderly maiden ladies. They sold the estate in 1867
to a syndicate composed of Nathaniel Wiggin, Charles S. Clark and James F. Almy.
The acreage eventually became it's own neighborhood with schools and many houses, as well as a large home for James F. Almy on Lafayette St.
Illustrated History of Salem and Environs Compiled by C. B. Gillespie, 1897, p. 125-7
Derby and Messervy Estates MACRIS