Built in 1667, this federal-era house sits on the corner of Essex and Daniels Streets. It was built by Stephen Daniels, a shipwright, and was originally a small four room house. A great grandson, Stephen Silsbee, enlarged the house in 1756, adding a third story and parlor and enclosed the old house in the new. It now had 15 rooms and 13 fireplaces.
It was renovated in period style by the Haller family who bought it from the 86 year old owner, Mrs. Wilkins. It opened in Sept. 1945 as the Haller-Daniels house, and operated as a guest house. Now known as the Daniels House, it still serves as an inn and dining establishment.
- Architecture in Salem by Bryant F. Tolles, Jr., p.39.
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Daniels House
- Daniels House B & B Website