Choate Statue

From SalWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Statue located at corner of Essex and Boston Streets or "Tully Square." Unveiled on Oct. 20, 1923. This fine granite and bronze memorial was created in honor of one of Salem's most distinguished sons, the late Hon. Joseph Hodges Choate(1832-1917), a distinguished lawyer, and U.S. ambassador to England. The memorial was a gift from Henry Clay Frick. The bronze figure of a seated woman is meant to represent "Liberty" is holding up a laurel wreath in her raised right hand. In her left, she holds a shield adorned with an eagle and thirteen stars. The sculpture rests on a block of granite adorned on the front with a circular relief of the head of Joseph H. Choate. The sculptor was J. Massey Rhind.

See Also

  • Vertical File in Salem Collection - Choate, Joseph
  • "Statue Unveiling." Salem Evening News, Oct.20, 1923.