Located on 180 Derby Street in the historic district, this Federal period building was built between 1810-1812 for Benjamin W. Crowninshield. Established through a perpetual trust in 1861, this became the first residence for elderly women in Salem. Twice enlarged in 1870 and again in 1916, this house has been a residence since the mid 1800's for elderly women who want to live in a homelike setting while retaining their independence and privacy. There is an attractive interior, with dining room and formal parlors.
The gardens on the grounds of the Brookhouse were cared for by the Salem Garden Club for many years.
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Brookhouse Home
- A record of the first 50 years of the Old Ladies' home at Salem Observer Press, 1910.
- Old Naumkeag by C.H. Webber, p.211
"The Story of the Woman's Friend" Jim McAllister Salem News, Essex County Chronicle, Feb. 25, 2013