- This house was built on Essex Street (#312) about 1760 and modernized in 1805.
- Moved to 9 North Street as part of a street widening in 1946, this was the home of Nathaniel Bowditch, the famed astronomer and his family from 1811 until 1823, when he moved to Boston.
- It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places list in 1966.
- It is a three-story, low-hipped roof, clapboard house and a good example Federal-era residential architecture, with a recessed front doorway set between Ionic pilasters which was moved across lots from 312 Essex St.
- Later owners were Dr. John Treadwell, William Proctor and Judge B.F.Osgood.
- In 1944, when the city proposed the widening of North Street, Historic Salem Incorporated was established to save it as well as the Corwin House (The Witch House) from demolition. After being moved and renovated, the house was turned over to the city of Salem and was used for Park Department offices.
- It is now used for office space by Historic Salem Inc.
Vertical File in the Salem Collection - Bowditch, Nathaniel
Architecture in Salem by Bryant F. Tolles, p.122-3.
The Ups and Downs of Saving Buildings (Bowditch House) Salem Tales, SalemWeb.com
"Council to decide future of historic home" Salem Evening News, June 24, 1999, p. A2.
"Landmark home slated for rehab" Salem Evening News, Mar. 13, 2000, p. A2
"Relocation Nathaniel Bowditch House nearing completion" Salem Evening News, Feb. 23, 1946, p. 1