Ayube, Sgt. James
Sgt. James A. Ayube, II, died on Dec. 8, 2010 in Balkh province, Afghanistan, after a suicide bomber attacked his unit on patrol. He was an army medic.
Ayube was born on April 29, 1985, the son of James and Christina. He attended Salem High School and graduated in 2003. He earned as associate degree from Bunker Hill Community College before enlisting in the army in June 2007. He married his wife Lauren in January 2008.
The bypass road from downtown Salem to the Beverly Bridge was renamed Sgt. James Ayube II Memorial Drive as a reminder of his military service. Ayube lived on nearby Bridge Street when he was young in Salem.
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Ayube, Sgt. James
- Ayube Memorial Bypass city veteran's site
- "Salem man killed in Afghanistan" Salem News, Dec. 10, 2010, p. 1
- "Sgt. James A. Ayube II, 25, obituarty" Salem News, Dec. 16, 2010, p. 18
- "Slain Army medic was spurred by plight of wounded"Salem News, Dec. 13, 2010, p. 1
- "Honoring a hero's sacrifice; Family, community gather to say goodbye to Salem sergeant" Salem News, Dec. 18, 2010, p. 1
- "Salem honors a fallen soldier" Salem News, Dec. 20, 1010, p. 1
- "Bypass road dedicated to Sgt. James Ayube" Salem News, Oct. 1, 2011, p. 1