Atwood & Morrill
Atwood & Morrill (now called Weir Valves & Controls, USA) began in 1900 at 20 Symonds Street,Salem, employing many French-Canadian workers and making valves for New England Mills and later, for Navy ships in World War II.
After losing their building to the great fire of 1914, the company moved to Canal Street.
They started making nuclear power parts in the 1950's, making huge valves for power plants. They grew as the nuclear power industry grew.
They opened up a plant in North Carolina in 1972.
The company changed their name to Weir Valves & Controls, USA in 2003.
As the company became larger, they outgrew their Salem plant. The company found a location in Ipswich that fit their specifications, so most employees don't have to move. They moved the company in 2008.
In 2010, Salem State acquired the former Weir Valve & Controls property for $4.5 million. The 3.5-acre site is located on a strip of land between Canal Street and Loring Avenue.
It is the former home of Atwood & Morrill Co., a valve manufacturer that moved here in 1917. The company made valves for the U.S. Navy and nuclear power plants. Earlier, this was the location of Stanley Marine Engine Co., which made boat engines. In fact, there is still a “Stanley Building” on the site.
Salem State University is buying the empty buildings on Canal Street to use for the expansion they have planned. They will remove some buildings and use the space for parking while they build a new dormitory for the University.
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Businesses
- "Century-old manufacturer leaves Salem" Salem News, Jan. 18, 2008, p. A6
- "Valve manufacturer relocates from Salem to Old Right Road" Salem News, Feb. 6, 2008, p. 3