- 1. It being taken for granted, that all persons,
- boarding scholars, constantly maintain the worship of
- GOD in their families morning & evening, (a neglect of
- which the Trustees of Phillips Academy would consider as a
- sufficient disqualification for receiving licence [sic]) it is de-
- -sired & expected by the fond Trustees, that
- they require the scholars respectively belonging to their
- families, to attend morning & evening prayers; unless
- their age, or bodily infirmity, require them to be in bed
- at the usual & proper hour of family prayer, or the duties
- of the Academy require their attendance at such time.
2. It is expected, that scholars be required to observe
decency & order at meals, & that no one be suffered to sit
down at table before a blessing be asked upon the food,
or to leave table without leave of the head of the family, till thanks be returned for the
bounties of a kind providence.
3. It is expected, that no scholar be allowed to be
from home after nine O’clock in the evening.
4. It is hoped, that heads of families will use their
best endeavors, to make the scholars, boarding with them,
observe such hours of study, as the Preceptor shall from
time to time direct.
5. It is expected, that every scholar, (when health & wea-
-ther permit) be required to attend meeting seasonably &
constantly on Lord’s day, & to spend the other parts of the the
day in reading the scriptures, & in other religious exercises.
6. It is recommended, that no scholars be allowed to be
from home after sunset on Saturday evening, or to go
abroad on Sabbath evenings at all, some particular
Box 1 Folder 54
Phillips Family Papers
Phillips Academy Archives & Special Collections