Phone: 781-595-0567 x102
Welcome. The Reference Department staff is here to help you answer questions, assist you in using the online catalog and databases along with all the other library services. We are here to answer your basic genealogical, or local history of Lynn questions. (Please note we do charge a fee for genealogical research).
What your library has to offer you!
Computers | Databases | Automotive | Archives | Genealogy | Lynn Obituaries | Taxes | Health | College | Community | Massachusetts | Business | Career Resource Center Lynn Historic Photos | Login into your Account | Library Catalog
Your success is just a few minutes away.
LearningExpress Library provided by the LYNN PUBLIC LIBRARY is a completely interactive online learning platform of practice tests and tutorial course series designed to help patrons, students, and adult learners succeed on the academic or licensing tests they must pass. You'll get immediate scoring, complete answer explanations, and an individualized analysis of your results.
You will have online access at home to over 300 online practice exams and quizzes for standardized test preparation (SAT, GED, U.S. Citizenship, TOEFL, and much more). In addition, several basic skills products, both online and in print, are available with Spanish translation. The only requirement to access this database is you have a valid Lynn Library Card.
Computer services at the LYNN LIBRARY
- Internet Access is free and available to all. We do ask that you follow our policy rules as they are posted. Printing is available at .15 cents per page only black and white copies.
- Word processing is available on all our computers as well as two stand alones for your convenience.
- Scanning, photos and documents also available free at no charge, just the copies you make.
- Microfilm Machines with printer, copies .15 cents a page
- Microsoft Office software, Excel, Publisher, and Power Point
- WiFi Zone - Wireless internet access
Online Computer Tutorials
- New User Tutorial - this tutorial has been designed to help people who have never used a computer before.
- Mousing Around - this session shall help you navigate the computer mouse through a series of lessons.
- Mouserobics - another mouse tutorial to get you more comfortable moving around with a mouse.
- Lookup Lingo - Get up to speed on the latest internet and web jargon in a glossary format.
Late night answers to your questions, when the library is closed.
- Periodicals - Magazine Database EBSCO
- Online Reference Databases:
- NOBLE (North of Boston Library Exchange)
- Massachusetts Libraries: Search Library Resources -- Find articles from magazines, scholarly journals, reference books, newspapers and more
- Helpful Directories:
- Thomson Gale Databases includes a variety of free online sources. The latest to our collection is Chilton. ChiltonLibrary.com represents the most authoritative automotive repair information available to car owners. They cover the most popular vehicles of the past 30 years, plus additional coverage of specialty models. The Foreign cars will be added in December.
You must have a valid Lynn Library Card to access this database.
- Kelly's Blue Book
Basic Reference Archives
Lynn Reference Department archives include, Lynn City Directories, Lynn Suburban Directories which includes Nahant, Saugus and Swampscott from 1925-1977 with gaps. Old Lynn Newspapers on microfilm, Lynn Daily Item, Telegram News, Sunday Post and various other Lynn papers. We have a collection of Lynn Historic Photos available online. Vital records to 1850, family histories and much more, check out our catalog. We also have available FREE, ANCESTRY LIBRARY, only accessible at the Library for all those genealogists.
Copies of Birth and Death certificates can be obtained from our Lynn City Hall, City Clerk and Elections Office.
- Ellis Island
- Family Search
- Jewish Genealogy
- National Archives and Records Admin
- Researching your family tree
- Cyndi's List
- Legacy.com (obituaries)
- Essex Registry of Deeds
- Essex National Heritage Commission
Web Rings, Message Boards and Weblogs (Blogs)
Web rings are interconnected sites on a particular topic. Weblogs are online journals written by individuals. Message boards are sites where people post queries and other sites provide possible answers. Sites will vary in quality and may contain commercial content.
Don't have time to call the IRS, see if you can find your form online first.
- Download Federal Forms or call 1-800-829-3676.
- Local Office in Massachusetts
- Download State Forms
- Contact your local office - If you have specific questions about your account, please call (617) 887-MDOR or toll-free in Massachusetts 1-800-392-6089 or write to PO Box 7010, Boston, MA 02204
- U.S. Tax Code - This link allows you to access the complete text of the United States Internal Revenue Code, Title 26 of the U.S. Code (26 USC) in a variety of ways. Hyperlinks have been embedded in the Code to permit following cross-references between sections with a simple mouse click. A WAIS-based full-text search engine allows you to quickly locate Code sections by content
- Merck Manual Second home edition
- Medline Plus
- Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine - On-Line Physician Profile Site home page or the profiles page
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Health and Human Services
- College Board - Get information about the PSAT and SAT
- CollegeNet - 8 key internet admissions services to help you get into college
- FinAid SmartStudent Guide to financial aid for colleges
- Lynn Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) - EOC provides counseling & application assistance to lower income adults planning to attend college or technical school.
- Peterson's Planner - For help in your college search, test prep and financial aid
- U.S. Universities by state - A list of regionally-accredited U.S. universities
- FAFSA - Free Application For Student Aid
- Scholarship Information
- City of Lynn
- Lynn Public Schools
- Lynn Daily Item
- Boys and Girls Clubs Lynn
- Catholic Charities
- Greater Lynn Senior Services
- Clubs and Organizations
- Lynn Obituaries
- Massachusetts Government
- Department of Homeland Security
- Registry of Motor Vehicles
- Southern Essex County, Massachusetts, Registry of Deeds
- Massachusetts Code of Regulations
- Stocks - Big Charts
- Boston Better Business Bureau
- Massachusetts Procurement Access and Solicitation System - Information that businesses need to bid on public contracts