The Lynn Public Library provides access to public computers/internet as part of its mission to provide resources and services that meet the cultural, educational, informational, and recreational needs of our diverse community. The internet offers a wealth of information. Users should be aware that the library cannot be held responsible for the content, accuracy, or quality of the information obtained through the internet.
- A valid Lynn Public Library card or other NOBLE library card is needed for computer use.
- A guest pass will be given to a user provided they sign up for a library card. Guest passes may not be used for extra time on the computers unless permitted by library staff.
- Users may use the computer for up to an hour per day.
- Library does not provide speakers. Users must use their own headphones to access sound.
- Due to space limitations and respecting the privacy of other users, only one person may be at a workstation.
- Users may not use another person’s library card for computer use.
- Food and drinks are prohibited at computer workstations.
- Cell phones must be turned off or put on silent mode.
- Limits on staff time allow the library to offer only brief one-on-one assistance. Library staff cannot provide instruction on an as needed basis. Users are encouraged to attend one of the library’s computer classes.
- Printing is available for $.15 per page. It is the responsibility of the user to ensure the quantity of printouts. Printouts must be paid in full prior to printing.
- All library computers will be shut down 30 minutes prior to closing.
- Library staff shall not monitor an individual’s internet use except as may be required to ensure compliance with policy and procedures.
- Computer users will refrain from the display of images in public areas that are not appropriate for public viewing. Staff may intervene upon receiving a complaint or at their own discretion.
Responsibility of Users
Use of any library computer constitutes acceptance of the Lynn Public Library’s Computer/Internet Use Policy. Users are expected to respect the privacy of others.
Users MAY NOT:
- Use library computers, including use of the library’s WIFI, for activities that violate local, state, or federal laws.
- Engage in illegal or criminal activities on the internet.
- Access, view or disseminate material that is:
- Child pornography
- Harmful to minors
- Send lewd or threatening messages.
- Destroy, damage, alter computer hardware, software, equipment or data belonging to the library.
- Violate copyright laws or software licensing agreements.
- Harass or violate the privacy of other user or library staff.
The library reserves the right to terminate a user’s computer session without notice if in violation of this or any other library policy. Failure to comply with this policy may result in the suspension of internet use and/or library privileges. Illegal acts, including, but not limited to, accessing illegal content on the internet may be subject to prosecution by local, state, or federal authorities. The library reserves the right to inform law enforcement about illegal activities in the library.
Approved by the Board of Trustees