Parlin Memorial Library
Adult Library HoursMon. - Thurs.: 9am - 9pm
Fri.: 9am - 5pm
Children's Library HoursMon. - Thurs.: 9am - 7pm
Fri.: 9am - 5pm
410 Broadway, Everett, MA 02149 617-394-2300
Welcome to the Parlin Library. The Frederick E. Parlin Memorial Library was erected as a memorial to the son of Albert Parlin, a local businessman who lost his son Frederick in 1890. John Spofford was selected as the architect to design the new library. The building was constructed in Richardson Romanesque style and opened to the public on September 17, 1895. In 1911 plans were drawn up for an addition to the library, and again Mr. Parlin donated $6,000 towards the construction. John Spofford was once again the architect. Through the years, Mr. Parlin donated generously to the library. In 1924, he established the Frederick E. Parlin Memorial Fund. Over the years the interest from this fund has been used to purchase many items for the library. By the 1940's, the Library had outgrown the building, but it wasn't until 1982 that a plan was set in motion to renovate the original building and to construct an addition. CBT/Childs, Bertman, Tseckares was chosen to draw up the architectural plans. Ground was finally broken in the spring of 1990. With construction of the new addition, the building is almost three times it's original size and handicapped accessible. The library has received awards for the skillful combination of an historic building with new construction from the Boston Society of Architects and was one of eight libraries to receive the 1993 Building Award of the American Institute of Architects and the American Library Association. When the new building opened in November 1991, it was completely automated and is a member of NOBLE, the North of Boston Library Exchange.