[This is a page of links for a 30 minute session on Data that I'm doing tomorrow.]
Data Trends: Structured, Visual, Interactive
- Wolfram Alpha — Precise, high-quality answers for structured data. “Wolfram|Alpha’s long-term goal is to make all systematic knowledge immediately computable and accessible to everyone.”
- Baby Name Voyager — Visual, interactive exploration of a huge data set
- How Different Groups Spend Their Day — New York Times interactive, visual presentation of a more complex data set.
- Inaugural Words — New York Times mixes word clouds with a simple database of the Presidents
- Who Went Where [screenshot] — An example of Linked Data that lets you search for a college or university, and find recent New York Times articles about alumni [Who Went Where][Build Your Own NYT Linked Data Application]
Data and Tools
- Open : All the Code that’s Fit to Print — The New York Times provides open APIs to lots of data and shares code and other tools for working with data
- Guardian Open Platform — UK newspaper provides a large collection of curated data and tools to work with them
- Free book usage data from the University of Huddersfield — Dave Pattern’s announcement about making the library’s circulation data available under an Open Data Commons license. If more libraries did this, it could be an amazing resource for recommender systems and other analysis
Your Own Statistics
- Flickr Stats — If you have a Flickr Pro account and turn on statistics recording, you can explore your Flickr Stats in many ways.
- Boatwright Library at a Glance — Visual presentation of statistics
- Indianapolis Museum of Art — Visual data widgets provide access to a wide variety of counts and statistics, with the ability to drill down and get more detail, select by department, follow by feed and much more. This site is built on Drupal and has been released as the open source museum-dashboard
- Google Spreadsheet Gadgets — Google makes it easy to create data gadgets in different formats, and offers more powerful tools through Google Code