Online Research Resources and Databases
New Database! Morningstar Investment Research Center !
23,000+ mutual funds ~ 600+ ETFs ~ 7,000+ stocks from NYSE, AMEX,
NASDAQ, and OTC exchanges ~ 250 screenable fund datapoints
450 screenable stock datapoints ~ 2,000 Fund Analyst Reports
2,000+ Stock Analyst Reports
Updated continuously throughout the day
Click here for our collection of resources for Job Seekers
Select a database from one or more of the categories above. If you are using these resources from your home computer, you may be asked to input your 14 digit barcode of your library card and last name (when prompted) to begin searching. These resources provide access to thousands of full-text and abstracted articles in periodicals, health and business resources, biographical and literary databases. For tips on searching databases click here
Need a library card?
Stop by the Circulation Desk to obtain the "smartest card" for your wallet!
- Chilton's Online Auto Repair ChiltonLibrary provides exclusive photographs, diagnostics designed by instructors, step-by-step repair procedures, Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) maintenance schedules, wiring diagrams, recalls and Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) for automobiles and light trucks in one easy-to-use web site. You are now equipped with decades of data to maintain your vehicle.
- GALE CENGAGE : Gale Biography in Context
Use this database for over 400,000 biographies covering literary figures, science, multicultural studies, business, entertainment, politics, sports, government, history, current events and the arts. Indexes all print volumes of the series.
- AtoZdatabases - Premier Reference and Marketing Database including 30 million business profiles & 220 million residents. Ideal for sales leads, mailing lists, market research, employment opportunities, finding friends & relatives and much more
EBSCO: Business Source Premier - Full text for more than 2,300 journals, including full text for more than 1,100 peer-reviewed titles. Includes all disciplines of business, including marketing, management, MIS, POM, accounting, finance and economics.
Try the Enhanced Business Searching Interface
GALE CENGAGE : Business Insights: Essentials
Company profiles, financial data, investment reports, industry information, business periodicals and more.
- GALE CENGAGE :General Business File ASAP - Analyze company performance and activity, industry events and trends as well as the latest in management, economics and politics.
- NOODLETOOLS: Citation Builder ~ the leading bibliography software on the Internet, so easy to use, supports most styles of citation: MLA & APA. Remote access for Danvers residents requires a user name and password. Please contact the Reference desk for assistance.
- ebrary's Public Library Complete - A growing collection of nearly 21,000 full-text e-books from leading publishers such as Random House, Penguin, The McGraw-Hill Companies, and Taylor & Francis in multiple subject areas for schools & studying, career development, fiction, practical life skills, arts & leisure, and more.
- GALE CENGAGE : Gale Virtual Reference Collection - Database of encyclopedias and specialized reference sources for multidisciplinary research.
- Overdrive - As part of the OverDrive downloadable collection provided by the NOBLE network, you can access a selection of fiction and nonfiction e-books and audiobooks through our digital collection.
- EBSCO: Funk and Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia -
over 25,000 encyclopedic entries covering a variety of subject areas.
- ENCYCLOPAEDIA BRITANNICA :Online Public Library Edition
Comprehensive encyclopedia meeting the reference needs for all patrons from students, to business professionals and lifelong learners. Offers "adult" and "kids" interface. Includes a dictionary, thesaurus, videos, images, primary sources, and e-books.
EBSCO: Academic Search Elite - Full text for more than 2,000 journals, including more than 1,500 peer-reviewed titles. This multi-disciplinary database covers virtually every area of academic study. More than 100 journals have PDF images back to 1985.
- ENCYCLOPAEDIA BRITANNICA: Middle School Edition
- ENCYCLOPAEDIA BRITANNICA: High School Edition
GALE CENGAGE: Academic OneFile
GALE CENGAGE : Expanded Academic ASAP - Access scholarly journals, news magazines, and newspapers (many with full text and images!) across all academic disciplines.
- GALE CENGAGE : Gale Opposing Viewpoints in Context
Offers a range of perspectives on important issues to help critical-thinking skills using reference, periodical, news, primary and multimedia sources
INFOTRAC: Student Edition - Designed for high-school students, database accesses a variety of indexed and full-text magazines, newspapers and reference books for information on current events, the arts, science, popular culture, health, people, government, history, sports and more.
INFOTRAC: Junior Edition [K - Gr. 12] - Designed for students in junior high and middle school with access to a variety of indexed and full-text magazines, newspapers and reference books for information on current events, the arts, science, popular culture, health, people, government, history, sports & more.
INFOTRAC: Kids InfoBits [ K - Gr.5] - Especially for beginning researchers in Kindergarten through Grade 5.
EBSCO: Middle Search Plus - Full text for 140 popular magazines for middle and jr. high school research. Also contains 84,774 biographies, 100,554 primary source documents, and an Image Collection of 235,186 photos, maps and flags.
EBSCO: Primary Search - Full text for nearly 70 popular, magazines for elementary school research. Full text information dates as far back as 1990 and are assigned a reading level indicator (Lexiles).
- ENCYLOPAEDIA BRITANNICA: World Data Analyst ~ current and historical statistics on the countries of the world.
- GALE CENGAGE: Global Issues in Context- Global viewpoints, reference, periodicals, and multimedia for what's happening in the world today and why.
- GALE CENGAGE: Science in Context - Comprehensive range of science journal, news, reference works, AV
resources and interactive exercises supporting high school curricula and
EBSCO: Professional Development Collection - Highly specialized collection of 520 high quality education journals, including nearly 350 peer-reviewed titles. This database also contains more than 200 educational reports.
GALE CENGAGE : Educator's Reference Complete -
Use this mainly full-text collection of over 1100 periodicals and 200 reports for educational research from preschool to college covering technology, health and bilingual education, testing, and issues in administration, funding and policy.
EBSCO: ERIC - Educational Resource Information Center, contains more than 2,200 digests along with references for additional information and citations and abstracts from over 1,000 educational and education-related journals.
Ancestry.com - Instant access to a wide range of unique resources for genealogical and historical researchincluding 4 billion names in over 3,400 databases; includes records from the United States census; military records; court, land, and probate records; vital and church records; directories; passenger lists, and more.
"In-library" use only. How to use
- Heritage Quest - Includes the digitized UMI Genealogy & Local History Collection, 1790-1930 U.S. Federal Census, the Periodical Source Index (PERSI), and the Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty Land Warrant Application Files. How to use
- NEHGS (New England Historic Genealogical Society) Resources -
"In-library" use only.
EBSCO: MasterFILE Premier - Magazine and newspaper articles, full text reference books, primary source documents and images.
- GALE CENGAGE: General OneFile - One-stop source for news and periodical articles on a wide range of topics.
INFOTRAC: General Reference Center Gold - Latest current events, popular culture, business and industry coverage, arts & sciences, sports & hobbies.
GALE CENGAGE : Health and Wellness Resource Center with Alternative Health Consumer health-focused medical and drug encyclopedias, magazines, videos and more.
- GALE CENGAGE: Health Reference Center Academic - Integrates the full text and images of respected nursing, allied health and medical journals, consumer health magazines, newsletters, pamphlets, newspaper articles, topical overviews, and reference books.
EBSCO: Health Source: Consumer Edition - Information on many health topics including the medical sciences, food sciences and nutrition, childcare, sports medicine and general health.
EBSCO: Health Source: Nursing / Academic Edition - 550 scholarly full text journals focusing on many medical disciplines along with abstracts and indexing for nearly 850 journals.
EBSCO: MEDLINE - Authoritative medical information on medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, the health care system, pre-clinical sciences, and much more created by the National Library of Medicine.
- GALE CENGAGE: Nursing Resource Center - Designed for nursing students, this brings together disease and drug
overviews, care plans, anatomy and physiology diagrams with full-text
journals and core encyclopedia texts.
- Salem Press:Magill's Medical Guide 6th ed. - an authoritative reference source that helps bridge the gap between medical encyclopedias for professionals and popular self-help guides. It is an up-to-date and easy-to-use compendium of medical information suitable for student research as well as use by general readers, including patients and caregivers.
- Annals of American History
- From Salem Press
Great Events from History:
20th Century, 1971-2000
Great Lives from History:
- GALE CENGAGE: U.S. History in ContextPrimary and secondary history sources combined with the media-rich selections, including key titles from Macmillan, Scribner and other world-class sources. Find comprehensive coverage of the most-studied topics, from the arrival of Vikings in North America 1,000 years ago to Vietnam, Watergate and the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
- GALE CENGAGE: World History in Context
Covers nearly 5,000 years to chronicle the rise and fall of cultures and societies across all continents and eras. Rare primary sources combine with reliable references to put content into context for every learner.
- New! GALE CENGAGE: Gale LegalForms
-Provides a wide selection of state-specific (and multi-state) legal forms across the most popular legal areas. Includes real estate contracts, wills, pre-marital agreements, bankruptcy, divorce, landlord tenant and many others. Also included is a comprehensive attorney state directory and a dictionary of legal definitions explained in laymen's language.
- Access to law journal articles, Federal Register, treaties, Statutes at Large and US Supreme Court Opinions from Hein Online is available in the library courtesy of the Massachusetts Trial Court Law Libraries.
Please see a Reference Librarian for access.
- Danvers Herald:
8/4/2005 to current:
Find full-text articles on local news, issues, events, people and much
more from current and archived issues of the Danvers Herald. Updated
daily, it includes obituaries, editorials, announcements and other
- ProQuest:Boston Globe 1980 to current
- GALE CENGAGE : New York Times Full-text of The New York Times from 1985- searchable as a standalone
file (also included in Academic OneFile and General OneFile).
- EBSCO: Newspaper Source - Selected full text for 25 national (U.S.) and international newspapers. It also contains full text television & radio news transcripts, and selected full text for more than 260 regional (U.S.) newspapers.
- Proquest: Historical Boston Globe, 1872-1979 - Digital archive with access to the full content of the historical Boston Globe. You may search and view article & full page images, page through issues and search using a variety of methods.
Oxford Reference Online
We have added sixteen reference titles created from Oxford's award-winning print scholarly reference sets. These e-reference resources are fully searchable with remote access available anytime, anywhere.When using these resources from home, you will be asked for your library card number and last name.
- EBSCO: NovelistPlus - The perfect tool for finding fabulous fiction and non-fiction: reviews, read-a-likes and more.
- INFOTRAC: Books and Authors offers new ways to explore the endless possibilities and combinations of books, authors, genres and topics including the award-winning What Do I Read Next? collection, patrons and students alike can be sure that their next big read comes with a BIG recommendation.
GALE CENGAGE: Contemporary Literary Criticism Select - More than 11,000 critical essays on contemporary authors. Allows users to search by author name, title of work, nationality, subject/genre, ethnicity, critic name, and more.
- GALE CENGAGE : Literature Resource Center -Literary criticism, author biographies, literary journals, overviews or 75,000 frequently studied works, and over 30,000 poems, short stories and plays.
OCLC WorldCat - Cooperative database of bibliographic records contributed by more than 57,000 libraries, making it the world’s largest, most complete, and most consulted library catalog.
Super Searches/BPL Electronic Resources
- INFOTRAC: Powersearch - Use this link to search across databases.
- EBSCO: Super Search - Use this link to search multiple databases.
- BPL ecards - Visit the Boston Public Library website to apply for an ecard for immediate home access to over 140 BPL databases.
- LearningExpressLibrary - A comprehensive, interactive online learning platform of practice tests and tutorial course series designed to help patrons succeed
on academic or licensing tests.