Databases: A - Z list
Quick Links to Databases
- Sage Publishing Online
- Salem Press eBooks
The Salem Press eBook collection provides access to multiple eBook titles covering Literature, Health, Science, and History. The full text of all titles can be searched, browsed, printed, and downloaded.
- Serials Solutions
- Science Full Text Select
- Sharpe Online Reference
Sharpe Online Reference provides online access to two sets of reference books: "Social Issues in America", and "Conflicts Since WWII." The full text of all titles can be searched, browsed, printed, and downloaded.
- A to Z Maps - Over 4,000 maps including political maps, physical maps, outline
maps, population maps, precipitation maps, climate maps, and other
- Academic OneFile - Large, general-purpose collection from Gale. Includes many peer-reviewed titles and covers virtually every subject area.
- Academic Search Premier - Large, general purpose collection from EBSCO. Includes many peer-reviewed titles and covers virtually every subject area.
- Artstor - The
ARTstor Digital Library provides more than one million images with
tools for teaching and research. Its collections comprise contributions
from outstanding museums, photographers, libraries, scholars, photo
archives, and artists and artists' estates from all over the world .
- Biography in Context - Search for people, both current and historic, from all eras and fields of endeavor. BRC is a Gale database.
- Biomedical Reference Collection: Basic - Provides full text for over 100 journals in a variety of areas pertaining to medical study. From EBSCO.
- Books & Authors -
Books & Authors helps bring readers and literature together.
Explore genre fiction and essential non-fiction titles with an
innovative user interface. From Gale.
- Boston Globe -
Coverage 1980 onwards. From ProQuest.
- Business Insights: Essentials -
Bringing together company profiles, brand information, rankings,
investment reports, company histories, chronologies and periodicals.
- Brittanica Online Public Library Edition
- Brittanica Online Public Library Edition: Kids
- Brittanica Online School Edition
- Brittanica Online School Edition - Elementary School Edition
- Brittanica Online School Edition - Middle School Edition
- Brittanica Online School Edition - High School Edition
- Brittanica Learning Zone
- Brittanica Spanish Reference Center
- Brittanica Spanish Edition: Escolar (K-8)
- Brittanica Spanish Edition: Moderna (9-12)
- Brittanica Annals of American History
- Brittanica World Data Analyst
- Business Insights: Essentials - Bringing
together company profiles, brand information, rankings, investment
reports, company histories, chronologies and periodicals. From Gale.
- Business Index ASAP - Perform
in-depth research on management issues, economic indicators and
business theories and practices, as well as on the activities of
companies and industries. From Gale.
- Business Source Premier - Full
text coverage in all disciplines of business, including marketing,
management, MIS, POM, accounting, finance and economics. From EBSCO.
- Chronicle of Higer Education - Academic
world's primary source of news and trend analysis. Includes fully
searchable full-text, job announcements, reports on developments in
information technology, and links to other Internet resources in higher
- CINAHL - The
authoritative resource for nursing and allied health professionals,
students, educators and researchers. This database provides indexing
for journals from the fields of nursing and allied health. From EBSCO.
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text - This
database provides full-text access to journals from the fields of
nursing and allied health. Use in conjunction with CINAHL. From EBSCO.
- ClasePeriodica - Index of Latin
American journals in the sciences and humanities. This FirstSearch
database is for advanced projects only and requires a password. See a
BHCC librarian for access.
- Contemporary Literary Criticism Select - An
extensive collection of more than 11,000 critical essays on
contemporary authors. Each CLC--Select entry contains a
biographical/critical introduction, a list of principal works, critical
essays, and sources for further study.
- CQ Researcher - Lengthy,
original, and comprehensive reports and analysis on current news
topics. Great for current events research and opinion papers.
- Credo Reference - Full-text
encyclopedias and guides to most areas of study. Includes titles
like: law and medical dictionaries, art and art image guides, food,
music, science, and technology encyclopedias.
- ProQuest Criminal Justice - Provides access to over 200 publications in criminal justice, encompassing corrections administration,
criminal and family law, drug rehabilitation, industrial security, law enforcement, and social work. From ProQuest
- Criminal Justice Collection - From Gale
- Culinary Arts Collection - From Gale
The BHCC Library does not have any databases that begin with the letter "D" currently.
- elibrary - Full-text,
general subject magazines, newspapers, and reference books as well
as transcripts, maps, pictures, web links and audio-visual files. Great
for current events.
- eBook Collection - Access to the full-text of over 3,300 eBooks on subjects as diverse
as computer programming, current literature, medicine, business, and
law. 1,600 Project Gutenberg books, representing classic historical and
literary works that have moved into the public domain, are also
available. The EBSCO eBook Collection was formerly known as NetLibrary.
- Environmental Studies and Policy COllection - from Gale.
- Ebooks (FirstSearch)- OCLC catalog
of online electronic books available through libraries worldwide. This
FirstSearch database is for advanced projects only and requires a
password. See a BHCC librarian for access.
- ebrary - ebrary is large collection of eBooks spanning multiple subject areas.
With ebrary you can search and view the full text of thousands of
books through your web browser.
- ECO - An OCLC collection of
scholarly journals. This FirstSearch database is for advanced projects
only and requires a password. See a BHCC librarian for access.
- Educator's Reference Complete - Content focuses on educational principles, child development and psychology, and best practices in education. From Gale.
- ERIC - The
Educational Resources Information Center is a national information
system designed to provide users with ready access to an extensive
body of education-related literature.
- ERIC via EBSCO - ERIC is also accessible via the EBSCO interface.
- Entrepreneurship - bridges
theory with practice,
covering a wide spectrum of resources useful to educators, researchers,
students and practitioners. Content ranges from
the scholarly - including journals, dissertations, working papers and
conference proceedings -
to a full toolkit of practical guides, templates, forms, sample business
plans and tips from successful entrepreneur
in a wide range of formats - from video to downloadable Word and Excel
files, as well as traditional text and PDFs. From ProQuest.
- Ethnic Newswatch - Over
200 publications of the ethnic, minority and native press;
searchable in both English and Spanish, with titles in both languages
and more than 100,000 articles in Spanish. From ProQuest.
- European Views of the Americas: 1493 to 1750 -
Created in cooperation with the John Carter Brown Library, this
resource from “European Americana: A Chronological Guide to Works
Printed In Europe Relating to The Americas, 1493-1750,” the
authoritative bibliography that is well-known and respected by
scholars worldwide. The database contains more than 32,000 entries and
is a comprehensive guide to printed records about the Americas
written in Europe before 1750. From EBSCO.
- Expanded Academic ASAP - From
arts and the humanities to social sciences, science and technology,
this database meets research needs across all academic disciplines.
- Facts On File Issues & Controversies - Issues and Controversies helps researchers understand the crucial issues we face today,
exploring more than 800 hot topics in business, politics, government,
education, and popular culture. Updated weekly, with links to a
12-year back-file, Issues and Controversies offers in-depth articles
made to inspire thought-provoking debates. This database is great for
research papers and debate prep.
- Films on Demand - Films on Demand provides access to thousands of streaming videos in a wide range of subject areas.
- Food Science Source - This database provides cover to
cover full-text coverage from over 1,400 food industry related
Also included are over 1,000 market and food industry reports and tens
of thousands of articles from other magazines and journals. From EBSCO.
- Ferguson's Career Guidance Center - Ferguson's Career Guidance Center provides information in three areas in terms of careers and jobs: Job and Industry Profiles, Job-Hunting and Workplace Skills, and Career and Industry Resources. From Infobase.
- Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia - This database provides over 25,000 encyclopedic entries covering a variety of subject areas. From EBSCO.
- Gale Opposing Viewpoints in Context - A source for information on today's pressing social issues. Great for opinion and argument papers. From Gale.
- Gale Science in Context - Thousands
of topic overviews, experiments, biographies, pictures, illustrations,
and the latest scientific developments. From Gale.
- Gale U.S. History in Context. - Access
to over 4,000 historical (primary) documents, articles from more than
30 reference titles, and over 110 full-text journal covering themes,
events, individuals and periods in U.S. history from pre-Colonial times
to the present. From Gale.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library - A database of encyclopedias and specialized reference sources for multidisciplinary research.
- Gale World History in Context - An
array of primary sources, images, maps and charts which provide
expansive geographic and chronologic research materials for the study
of world history. From Gale.
- Gardening, Landscape and Horticulture Collection - From Gale.
- General Business File ASAP - Analyze
company performance and activity, industry events and trends as well as
the latest in management, economics and politics. From Gale.
- General OneFile - A large, general-topic database from Gale. A one-stop source for news and periodical articles on a wide range of topics.
- General Reference Center Gold - A
general interest database that integrates a variety of sources -
newspapers, reference books, magazines, and trade publications. From
- Global Issues in Context - Offers
international viewpoints on a broad spectrum of global issues, topics,
and current events. Featured are hundreds of continuously updated
issue and country portals that bring together a variety of specially
selected, highly relevant sources for analysis of social, political,
military, economic, environmental, health, and cultural issues. From
- GPO - U.S. government publications
from the Government Printing Office. This FirstSearch database is for
advanced projects only and requires a password. See a BHCC librarian for
- GreenFILE -Covers
all aspects of human impact to the environment. This collection of
scholarly, government and general-interest titles includes content on
global warming, green building, pollution, sustainable agriculture,
renewable energy, recycling, and more. From EBSCO.
- Health and Wellness Resouce Center - Provides instant access to carefully compiled and trusted medical reference materials. From Gale.
- Health Reference Center Academic - Provides
access to the full text of nursing and allied health journals, plus
the wide variety of personal health information sources in Gale's
award-winning Health Reference Center.
- Health Source: Consumer Edition - A
collection of consumer health information covering many health topics
including the medical sciences, food sciences and nutrition,
childcare, sports medicine and general health. From EBSCO.
- Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition - Sscholarly full text journals focusing on many medical disciplines. Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition also features the Lexi-PAL Drug Guide, which covers 1,300 generic drug patient education sheets with more than 4,700 brand names. From EBSCO.
- Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure Collection - From Gale.
- JSTOR - Contains
the backfiles (older issues) of over 50 scholarly journals; the most
recent several years (usually 3-5 years) of any particular journal are
not available via JSTOR. Includes almost one hundred years worth of
- Kids InfoBits - A
database developed especially for beginning researchers in
Kindergarten through Grade 5. Featuring a developmentally appropriate,
visually graphic interface. From Gale.
- LexisNexis Academic - Provides
access to national and international newspapers, business and
industry reports, and legal information including law reviews, federal
and state laws, and individual cases.
- Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts - Subject
coverage includes librarianship, classification, cataloging,
bibliometrics, online information retrieval, information management and
more. From EBSCO.
- Literature Resource Center (LRC) - Find
up-to-date biographical information, overviews, full-text literary
criticism and reviews on more than 130,000 writers in all disciplines.
- MAS Ultra: School Edition - Contains
full text for nearly 500 popular, high school magazines, more than 360
full text reference books, 85,670 biographies, 105,786 primary source
documents, and an Image Collection of over 460,000 photos, maps &
flags. From EBSCO.
- Massachusetts History Online - Contains full-text articles gathered from almost 50 sources that directly relate to MA history. From Gale.
- MasterFILE Premier - A
general topic database that provides full text for nearly 1,700 general
reference publications with full text information dating as far back
as 1975. Covering virtually every subject area of general interest.
- Medline via EBSCO -
Search the contents of Medline through EBSCO. Provides authoritative
medical information on medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary
medicine, the health care system, pre-clinical sciences, and much more.
Created by the National Library of Medicine. Medline can also be used
directly through the Pubmed website.
- MedlinePlus -Medline
Plus is a health information Web site for patients, families and other
consumers. Medline Plus contains carefully selected links to Web
resources with authoritative health information on over 800 health
topics, as well as dictionaries, directories, organizations, and news
- Middle Search Plus - Provides
full text for more than 140 popular, middle school magazines. All full
text articles included in the database are assigned a reading level
indicator (Lexiles). Full text is also available for thousands of
biographies and historical essays. From EBSCO.
- Military & Government Collection - Designed to offer current news pertaining to all branches of the military and government. From EBSCO.
- Overdrive - Provides online access to downlaodable eBooks and eAudiobooks. From NOBLE.
- PapersFirst - OCLC index of papers
presented at conferences worldwide. This FirstSearch database is for
advanced projects only and requires a password. See a BHCC librarian for
- Physical Therapy & Sports Medicine Collection - From Gale.
- Points of View Reference Center -
A collection of topic overviews, and analysis presenting both sides of
many current and controversial issues. Great for opinion and argument
papers. From EBSCO.
- Primary Search - Provides
full text for more than 70 popular, magazines for elementary school
research. All full text articles included in the database are assigned a
reading level indicator (Lexiles). From EBSCO.
- Proceedings - An OCLC index of
worldwide conference proceedings. This FirstSearch database is for
advanced projects only and requires a password. See a BHCC librarian for
- Professional Development Collection - Designed
for professional educators, this database provides a highly
specialized collection of nearly 520 high quality education journals.
- Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection - Coverins
topics in emotional and behavioral characteristics, psychiatry &
psychology, mental processes, anthropology, and observational &
experimental methods. From EBSCO.
- Pubmed/Medline - A database of professional biomedical literature. Pubmed is a
Web-based, searchable database of over 17 million article references
published in more than 5000 biomedical journals and magazines. Pubmed
contains a mix of full-text and citation-only articles.
The BHCC Library does not have any databases that begin with the letter "Q" currently.
- Regional Business News - Coverage
of more than 80 regional business publications covering all
metropolitan and rural areas within the United States. From EBSCO.
- Religion and Philosophy Collection - Coverage
of such topics as world religions, major denominations, biblical
studies, religious history, epistemology, political philosophy,
philosophy of language, moral philosophy and the history of philosophy.
- Sage Publishing Online -
provides online full-text access to 16 academic journals
accross multiple disciplines. Please note that coverage ranges
correspond to past library subscriptions and do not necessarily cover up
to the present day. Click here for a title list and coverage ranges.
- Salem Press eBooks -
The Salem Press eBook collection provides access to multiple reference titles covering Literature, Health, Science, and History. The full text of all titles can be searched, browsed, printed, and downloaded.
- Science Full-Text Select - Focusing
on General Science, Applied Science and Technology, and Agriculture.
Subjects include the study of food and energy issues, the
environment, biological and chemical sciences, and engineering and
computing technology. From EBSCO. (Formerly from H.W.Wilson)
- Science Reference Center - Science Reference Center™ is a comprehensive research database that provides easy access to a
multitude of full-text science-oriented content. Topics covered include
biology, chemistry, earth & space science, environmental science,
health & medicine, history of science, life science, physics,
science & society, science as inquiry, scientists, technology and
wildlife. From EBSCO. Science Reference Center can also be accessed
through a unique stand-alone interface. The same content is available through the standard EBSCOhost interface above.
- The Serials Directory - Provides
access to the most up-to-date and accurate bibliographic information
as well as current pricing structures for popular serials. From EBSCO.
- Sharpe Online Reference - Sharpe Online Reference provides online access to two sets of
reference books: "Social Issues in America", and "Conflicts Since WWII."
The full text of all titles can be searched, browsed, printed, and
- SocINDEX with Full Text - SocINDEX with Full Text offers comprehensive coverage of sociology, encompassing all
sub-disciplines and closely related areas of study. These include
abortion, criminology & criminal justice, demography, ethnic &
racial studies, gender studies, marriage & family, political
sociology, religion, rural & urban sociology, social development,
social psychology, social structure, social work, socio-cultural
anthropology, sociological history, sociological research, sociological
theory, substance abuse & other addictions, violence and many
others. From EBSCO.
- Teacher Reference Center - Indexing
and abstracts for 280 of the most popular teacher and administrator
journals and magazines to assist professional educators. From EBSCO.
- Turnitin - Useful tool to check originality of your paper. You do not want to be accused of plagiarism. Plagiarism is presenting someone else's ideas, writing, or other work as your own, without crediting the original source. This not only refers to quotations but also to paraphrasing an idea or concept.
The BHCC Library does not have any databases that begin with the letter "U" currently..
- WestlawNext - For access, please see a BHCC librarian for access.
- WorldAlmanac - This FirstSearch database is for advanced projects only and requires a password. See a BHCC librarian for access.
- WorldCat - OCLC catalog of books
and other materials in libraries worldwide. This FirstSearch database is
for advanced projects only and requires a password. See a BHCC
librarian for access.
The BHCC Library does not have any databases that begin with the letter "X" currently..
The BHCC Library does not have any databases that begin with the letter "Y" currently..
The BHCC Library does not have any databases that begin with the letter "Z" currently..