BHCC Library & Learning Commons Library Assistant
We have finished hiring for the fall 2013 semester. If you are interested in working in the library in the spring 2014 semester, you may fill out the application and we will keep your information on file.
The main focus of a Library Assistant is to interact with students, faculty, staff, and community members and respond to their needs. Library Assistants provided customer service, answer questions, check in/check out books and other materials, and perform technical and administrative tasks. They must also enforce library policies and adhere to library rules and regulations.
Specific tasks include:
- Provide prompt, calm, courteous, and welcoming customer service to patrons (student, faculty, staff, and public patrons) at the Lending Services Desk
- Perform circulation (checking items in and out) and related tasks
- Participate in the handling of reserves, including accepting items for reserve and discharging items from reserve
- Perform reserve item shelf-reading
- Provide basic technical assistance on the use of copiers, printers, computers, internet, and software
- Provide basic technical assistance on the use of internet-based library resources, including the library website, the library catalog, and Syrup
- Perform administrative duties, such as answering the phone, taking messages, sorting mail, and directing patron inquiries to the correct area
- Participate in professional development and inservice as assigned
- Adhere to all library, college, state, and federal policies, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Other duties as assigned
If you are interested in the position please fill out the online application.
Download reference form